Day 5: January 30, 2011
Balboa Park
Previous Day
Next Day
Site Home
Trip Home

An In-N-Out 'burger was on my "to eat" list for this trip. When the family meeting time got shifted, I decided that now was a good time to get In-N-Out off the list. I thought the food was rather good and reasonably priced, too.

Finally, in Balboa Park, on a pathway near the zoo, I got a picture of Noah. Several of the palm trees that line the walkway have been replaced somewhat recently. Not long after the family moved to San Diego, they were walking along this path and noted that the heights of some of these replacements matched the heights of family members. This is Noah's palm.

ADDENDUM: Feb 6, 2011 - After Kayla saw this page, she sent me pictures of the boys and their palms from that first walk. Here's Noah and Fletcher last summer. I didn't originally post a picture of Fletcher by his palm largely because I was looking for that first picture of Noah. But I did get one and here it is for comparison.

This is the Botanical Building, which we went through, and the Old Globe Theater, which we didn't. The theater was constructed in 1935 as part of the California Pacific Exposition. It burned in 1978, was rebuilt, and has been going strong ever since.

There is just a smidgen of Fletcher the elder's head clipped off and that makes this the closest I have to a family picture.

This is in the Museum of Man. The big monuments are castings from a site in Quirigua, Guatemala.

In the display "Counter Cultures: The Secret Lives of Games", some of us got to be both players and markers in a huge board... errrr, floor game. Some of us saw images from our youth. Noah seems awed by a fellow who charged to fame long before he was born and both father and son seem awed by the skeletons of an adult and a five year old. The X-ray mirror perfected at last.

The Spreckels Organ first appeared in conjunction with the 1914 Panama-California Exposition. With pipes ranging from 1/4 inch to 32 feet, it's been called the "World's Largest Outdoor Organ".

We headed home after a ride on the miniature railroad. We had encountered a few drops of rain on the drive to the park and the threat continued while we were there but never moved beyond a drizzle. Only after we were safely home did it start to come down steadily. Rain in San Diego seems a strange thing to me.

[Prev] [Site Home] [Trip Home] [Contact] [Next]